Tuesday, June 3, 2008

krabi town center


Oh man sean….i am beat after a day in the jungle shooting, rushing around, dodging elephants as they walked down the dirt paths on which we were shooting (my first elephant encounters) and, of course, eating. So I will leave you with not so much a funny story, but one sure to make your mouth water. I think it may have been the best meal yet. So good I had to get up to watch the lady at her cart make the dish I now will try and repeat at home, pha lang style (this means whitey in case you forgot). It is called hoi tod-and I think it might combine one of my faves with one of aly’s-hoi means mussels and tod means fried (tonight I also learned another reason why this place is so fucking good to eat in-they have at least 5 words for fried!!!). so the lady takes a bowlful of shelled, cleaned mussels and puts them in a bowl. In goes a nice ladle of what looked like pancake or crepe batter. They sit and stew for a second while she cracks an egg into another bowl and whips it gently. Then the mussels hit the black top and on goes the egg. She let them sit and get all crispy. The batter makes a nice, crunchy pancakey dumpling skin thing that gets all chopped and stirred in with the moules. All of this goes on a bed of stir fried bean sprouts and a good hit of chilis on top. Oh man…I was in heaven. With this there was also two (2!) kinds of pad thai (from different stalls) and fresh veggies and a pineapple smoothie and coconut ice cream made on the spot. Not bad for 12 bucks total (there were 4 of us by the way)…


nb: having a problem with the pix right now. will post in the morning. also will add some pictures of the lovely little lady who was running a butcher stand right near where we shot. they were in the process of cutting up huge slabs of moo (that is pig and yes that is confusing). i had someone ask her when the pig was slaughtered and she laughed and said "this morning." it was about 11.

2 comments:

that wilson girl said...

Sing it with me, "Fried, fried, friiied, fried, fried."

Unknown said...

please make that for us on you 1,000,000 btu burner when you return! Sounds fantastic.

I think I have recovered from my contact heat stroke.