Sunday, June 1, 2008

it's my riiiiiife




Shiggins…how are things? I know your head is spinning a bit as you read the title of this post. Mine was too as we walked into the crazy pub in downtown krabi. Saturday night. The thais are raging. All slicked back hair, appropriately frazzled t-shirts, skinny jeans. Unhip hipsters all huddled together listening to a thai cover band in full force. Howling “it’s my riiiiiife” and I turned to alyson and said aerosmi-no no, bon jovi. Awesome. Awesome. The lyrics were their interpretation of the English version. Had we had the opportunity to ask them, they would have said they were speaking actual English but in fact it was just made up words, an approximation of the lyrics set to the tune. So great. This shifted into some thai songs (I am assuming) then a full thai language version of that super annoying song about how he’s sorry he can’t find the words(I’m sorry if I keep thinking of the right words to say, but I know they don’t sound the way I planned them to be, but if you wait around a while…you get it). The crowd loved this. This is crazy pub. This is thai youth at its finest.

Also, next time you get all annoyed at the guy who sits in the bathroom in “fancy” places and turns on the fucking water for you so you have to tip him a buck? I always find myself wondering what he should be doing for that dollar. The thai answer? After you have been at the urinal for a while-just a courtesy to get the flow going-the guy lays a wet towel on your neck-which since you are reading this will not scare the shit out of you, but I had no such blog or foreknowledge. And since I am assuming you don’t have your dick out right now, I will remind you just how vulnerable one feels at this particular moment. A wet towel, though very much welcome in the all encompassing heat, can be quite startling when placed on your neck by a strange man in a bathroom. I also must stress that you are unable to move as urine is blasting out of your penis. Handcuffed. I just froze. Which was the right move since he then started to give me full thai massage. Well, I guess not full-but neck, back and shoulders. He left before I finished. I can’t say I liked it but I can’t say it was horrible either. I went to the sink to wash up and he slapped a couple of well placed fist along the spine just to make sure it was in line. Again, I just froze. Dried my hands and threw some money in some guys hand without making eye contact but did glance over my shoulder to make sure I was not the only “special” one in the joint. I was not. Everyone who comes in gets the treatment. Pha langs (whitey) and thai alike. That and thai bon jovi covers? Yes. Yes indeed.


Things I have eaten:

Rice noodles with three curries poured over top and at each table by the cart a full bowl of fresh mint, basil, beans, cucumber, and homemade sweet pickles

Street fried chicken

Herb salad of indeterminable ingredients too numerous to name

Congee with an egg poured in, soft soft soft boiled to cook in the bowl (this is typical thai breakfast)

Duck eggs fried sunny side up

Best mai tai ever

Whole fried mackerel dressed in sticky curry and onion

Durien (the super smelly fruit)

Nori flavored lays (I was curious)

Fish jerky

Tom gai khun


Islands we have snorkeled near:

Ko Phi Phi
Ko Hong
Railay Beach
Ao Nang

More to come…who won the moto gp? Has it even happened yet? I have no idea what time it is there or even what day it might be. I hope you had fun at the berlin show…I will send you aly back…take care of her for me. Thanks sean…werd up yo…